We have tried a LOT of gluten free, low carb pizzas…but this one blows away every other version. Last night my husband voluntarily stopped at the store on the way home from work to pick up the ingredients just hoping I would make this pizza for dinner. Well, twist my arm… The crust recipe is the “Fathead Pizza Crust” recipe found here and I’ve included it in the recipe below. It’s really amazing how much this pizza dough is like real pizza dough, and yet so much easier to work with. And the taste and texture are fantastic! We find that we are very satisfied with less pizza because it’s very filling.
- 1¾ cups (approx) shredded/grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup ground almonds (almond meal or almond flour works too)
- 2 TBSP cream cheese
- 1 egg
- +/- salt to taste
- ½ tsp dried rosemary/ garlic or other flavourings (optional)
- 1/4 cup jarred pesto sauce (I use Delallo brand Simply Pesto)
- 1 can organic tomato paste
- 8 oz. Fresh Mozzerella (I use the kind that looks like a ball and break into 1" chunks)
- Fresh basil, roughly torn or chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- (Additional toppings) Pepperoni, sausage, cooked ground beef crumbles, etc...
- Put the shredded/grated cheese and cream cheese in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg, salt, rosemary (or other flavourings) and ground almonds, mix gently.
- Mix the almond/eggs into the cheese mixture until well combined. If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- Scoop dough ball out onto a sheet of parchment paper and flatten a bit.
- Cover dough with another piece of parchment and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick into a shape that will fit your cookie sheet. remove top layer of parchment.
- Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly.
- Place the paper with the pizza crust on a the cookie sheet, and bake at 425F for 10 minutes.
- Flip the pizza crust over once the top has baked to a golden color. I pull up on the parchment to turn the crust over and remove the paper. Poke more holes if there are air pockets.
- Bake for 5 more minutes.
- While the crust is in the oven, mix together tomato paste, pesto sauce, garlic powder, and salt.
- Once cooked, remove crust from the oven and add the tomato sauce mixture, basil and broken up mozzarella and any additional toppings
- Bake again at 425F for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
Nutrition info includes crust, sauce and cheese. Additional toppings are not included because they may vary.