Y’all. We have been going through these pecans like crazy! 2 pounds of pecans…gone in less than 24 hours CRAZY! And only 3 of us in this house are eating them! We love that sweet salty, almost caramel-y taste and they are only 1.1 grams of carbs per serving!!
This recipe makes 2 pounds at a time, which sounds like a lot until you start eating them before they have even cooled…and then you see little fingers
stealing grabbing your the delicious pecans…which makes you feel like you need to shove as many in your mouth as you can before they are all gone. Don’t judge…just you wait till you try them and find yourself squirrel-cheeked and hiding your stash. If you can bring yourself to share them, these pecans make a great homemade gift in a clear bag or a mason jar.
There goes somebody stealing my pecans again!
The sweetener I use for these pecans is Gentle Sweet from Trim Healthy Mama. This sweetener is by far and away the best one I have tried. Artificial sweeteners like Splenda, Aspartame, and Saccharine are out for us. Stevia is a great alternative but it can be bitter if too much is used. Sugar alcohols like Erythritol and Xylitol are good too, but should be used somewhat sparingly. Gentle Sweet from Trim Healthy Mama combine the best of both worlds and achieves the perfect balance and it is non GMO, which is important to us.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Gentle Sweet Blend or Stevia/Erythritol Blend
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 pounds pecans
- 1 TBSP sea salt
- In a large pot (large enough to hold 2 pounds of pecans) over medium heat, melt butter and sweetener together.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Watch for brown bits to form at the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat about 30 seconds after you see the brown bits forming. Stir for about 30 seconds after your remove from heat.
- Add the baking soda and stir until week mixed, mixture will foam.
- Add the pecans and mix until well-coated.
- Pour the pecans out onto a parchment sheet in a single layer. Pour any remaining sauce over the pecans.
- Add salt evenly over the pecans and allow them to cool.