I’m going to go ahead and say that when it comes to a low carb lifestyle, radishes are the new new potatoes. I’ll admit that I’m not a huge fan of raw radishes but cook those babies and they are so good! Radishes get tossed in around the chicken in this recipe to create an effortless side for the chicken without having to cook another dish. I love that. This is a full meal complete with protein, veggies, and bold flavor all in one dish.
Our garden is popping up with some herbs and they should be ready to use soon, but the rosemary is ready now and I had a lot of lemons leftover from my Lemon Meringue Pie. My son loves collecting herbs and veggies from the garden to cook with. It is very rewarding reaping the efforts of planting and seeing the fresh product of your work appear so delightfully on your plate, knowing where it came from and that there are no pesticides, herbicides or other chemicals added. . . and the backyard is so much closer than the store! I had made something like this recipe a few years ago (before becoming a lowcarber) and used new potatoes, but I really think I prefer it with radishes, and I know my waistline does. Even the kids ate their veggies when I served this!
I recommend using bone-in, skin on chicken for this. I used 8 chicken thighs but you could use legs, or even a whole split chicken. The bones keep the chicken moist during cooking and add some good nutrition too. The skin holds the flavor and provides some essential fat. Fat is not the enemy as we have been told for so long, and I know it’s still an uphill battle to convince ourselves and others of this. Just remember that eating fat (while restricting carbs) accelerates the burning of fat by making fat become your body’s preferred fuel source for energy. I don’t know about you, but I have plenty of that kind of fuel that I’d be happy to burn! Conversely, avoiding fat will leave you constantly hungry and cause you to actually consume more empty calories, sabotaging your health and weight loss goals. The kinds of fats we should avoid are the chemically-altered, processed, and hydrogenated oils/fats. Click here for more info about the Ketogenic diet.
- 2 TBSP sea salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 TBSP fresh rosemary leaves removed from stems
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 4 cups radishes, halved
- 8 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a food processor or blender, combine first 5 ingredients and process until rosemary leaves are well chopped and combined.
- With food processor running, slowly add oil.
- Salt and pepper each side of the chicken.
- Toss the chicken and radishes in the rosemary-lemon mixture.
- Arrange the radishes and chicken in a single layer with the chicken skin side up on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, turning radishes once during cooking.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 30 g||46.2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g||0.6%|
|Protein 36.4 g|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Defiantly Good Food