Around here, weeknights are busy. We really make an effort to eat together at home before, or sometimes after, running off to this kid activity or another. I often wish we could slow down, but it seems that is not the stage of life we are in right now. In order to get a meal on the table it sometimes requires a little creativity and willingness to experiment with what is on-hand. This is one of those recipes born out of what was in the refrigerator, which usually doesn’t seem too exciting, but this dish turned out too yummy not to share! The “pasta” is broccoli slaw from the bag in the produce section and it turned out to be a great noodle substitute. If you don’t have or can’t find broccoli slaw, you could substitute spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles. My favorite thing about this quick weeknight meal is that it can all be cooked in one pot, which means less clean-up too!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound sausage
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup chopped, packed sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cups spiralized veggie noodles or broccoli slaw
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until golden brown and tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add sausage and sauté until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add wine to skillet and boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add cream slowly and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add veggie noodles and bring sauce to simmer.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 2 tablespoons parsley and serve.