Have you ever tried to find a food to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day that does not contain green food dye? Not easy. I found this on Pinterest and I thought I could adapt it to be a low carb version and something we would all enjoy.
I used my low carb pie crust recipe I had just figured out for my low carb Lemon Meringue Pie and adapted a spinach quiche recipe for the filling.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring.
- Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Beat eggs and milk together, season with salt, pepper.
- Add onion mixture, spinach and Gruyère to egg mixture, mix well.
- Mix all crust ingredients with the back of a fork.
- When well mixed, form into a ball using your hands.
- Line 4 cups of a muffin pan individually with foil and then press dough into each cup.
- Shape each mini crust to have a pinched side. You may need to use a couple of small bits of rolled up foil in the cup to hold the shape.
- Fill each cup with quiche mixture.
- Fold foil over the outside edges of the crust to prevent burning.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.