This recipe happened by accident…like probably most great recipes. I was trying to make a dairy-free peanut-y caramel for my son…and I succeeded. It was peanut-y caramel but it ended up being a little too soft to pick up and eat…So I rolled it around in some peanuts and they helped hold it all together and gave it some structure. Turns out it looks a lot like a Payday bar. The taste is a little different because a Payday center is a little more like a nougat than a caramel. These are great on-the-go snacks or lunchbox treats!
These little peanut snacks pack in some good satisfying protein while leaving out the artificial flavors, dyes, and preservatives. Only 6 g of carbs per bar. The recipe makes six bars, but my son ate one before I could get the picture!
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Creamy Peanut Butter 16 oz (Pack of 3)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons sweetener of choice (I use Sweet Blend )
- 1 TBSP Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin, Kosher, 16 Ounce Can
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- Add peanut butter, honey, and oil to a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for one minute.
- Remove and immediately whisk in vanilla extract and coconut milk.
- Stir in sweetener, gelatin, and pinch of salt. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Drop large spoonfuls on to a pan lined with parchment paper, keeping the drops from running together. Chill in refrigerator until firm enough to handle but not so cool that the peanuts won't stick (about 10 minutes.)
- Roll in peanuts, covering most of the caramel, shape into small bars.
- Return to refrigerator to cool and set.