I just got back from my 20 year High School reunion. I have to say it was pretty fun to see old friends and catch up and reminisce. I didn’t go to my 10 year reunion because I was very pregnant and travelling was not in the cards. It was so interesting to see how people have changed in some ways, and not at all in other ways. Honestly, I always thought I would feel very insecure about my own appearance at my High School reunion, but I didn’t. I actually felt confident and comfortable in my skin. This way of eating played a big part in that.
While we were back in my old stomping grounds for the weekend, we ate at our favorite Mexican restaurant…twice! It’s this old little bungalow that was converted to a restaurant, but it still has the tiny rooms and the tables are way too small to fit all the food and drinks, and there’s always a wait for dinner, but it’s worth the wait. It’s an original and there is nothing like this place. I have been trying to figure out their fajita recipe since I was 16 years old! One day…and when I do, you’re definitely not going to want to miss that post!
Unfortunately I have not yet mastered those fajitas but I do have another amazing mexican dish that is sure to become a weekly favorite. This is a quick easy lunch or dinner that is perfect for enjoying a leisurely meal on the patio on a nice spring day. It’s got bacon (enough said, I know), avocado, and feta cheese. yum. I call it a Mexican Cobb Salad…MexiCobb for short.
For an even quicker variation, you can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken and skip the grilling chicken step. I have done it both ways, it’s always good!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 grilled chicken breasts
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 medium white onion, diced
- 4 Avocados
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup salsa (optional, omit for Feingold Stage 1)
- Cook bacon in a skillet and remove from pan to cool.
- Season chicken with thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper and grill in the skillet used to cook the bacon, with the rendered bacon grease.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the onion, avocados, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and cilantro, mashing the avocado as you mix.
- Chop bacon into small bites.
- Add the chopped lettuce, feta and bacon to the avocado mixture and combine.
- Serve with grilled chicken and salsa.