Something about Spring just makes me crave lemon anything! Breakfast, dessert, snack…this pound cake has you covered and won’t leave you with extra pounds to lose! Lots of lemony goodness in every moist bite makes this sweet treat hard to beat! I always try to keep lemons around, because I never know when I’ll need some for a quick dessert, drink or even for cleaning!
This recipe uses some coconut flour (as well as almond flour) which is a very dry flour. Let the mixture rest for a bit after you mix your wet and dry ingredients. Don’t skip this step because it allows the coconut flour to really absorb some of the moisture before it bakes and really helps this lemon loaf have a perfect cake texture!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick butter), softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup swerve granulated sweetener
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from two lemons
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon zantham gum
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 cup Swerve powdered sweetener
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-3 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of one lemon
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Coat a loaf pan with nonstick baking spray, layer with two sheets of parchment paper, (1 piece going from end to end, leaving enough sticking out the top to help you pull the cake out of the pan, and the other sheet going from side to side and sticking up past the top) then spray it again. Two sheets of parchment can help prevent the outside of the cake from browning too quickly before it’s done baking — especially if using a Pyrex loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, zantham gum and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the softened butter, cream cheese, lemon zest, and sweetener with an electric hand mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the room temperature eggs to a small bowl, along with the lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, making sure they’re thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture, then gently fold wiith a rubber spatula to gently mix. Once no huge pockets of flour remain, use your electric hand mixer to combine until smooth.
- Set aside for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, spoon the batter into prepared loaf pan, then bake for 55-60 minutes. Depending on the size of your loaf pan, it may take up to 10-15 minutes longer, so check for doneness around the 55 minute mark to be safe. Simply insert a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- In a medium-sized bowl, gently whisk or beat the butter and cream cheese together until thoroughly combined. Add the Swerve powdered sweetener, and whisk or beat until completely smooth. Add the vanilla extract, lemon juice, whisk until smooth. Add heavy cream, 1 teaspoon at a time to desired consistency. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the consistency as needed, adding more sweetener if needed, or more heavy cream.
- Add pink Himalayan sea salt to help bring out the flavors.
- Spread onto the cooled cake.
- Serve alone, or with berries and sugar-free whipped cream!