My kids love Chinese food. Since one of my kids eats dairy free and chinese food tends to be dairy free, it has become a staple in our home. I have been working on a low carb, clean version. Every time I make it, it is a hit with the whole family so I think it’s time to share the recipe with you. I love it because it is really easy to make too.
This would be good wrapped in bibb lettuce, but I usually pile it up on top of a bed of riced cauliflower. I didn’t even tell my kids, that the rice was really caulifower and no one even noticed. I prep the riced cauliflower by spreading it out on a cookie sheet and cooking in the oven at about 200 for about an hour. This helps dry it out a little so it can take on the juices and flavors of the sauce. If you have a Trader Joes, they sell the riced cauliflower in the produce section. If not, you can take a head of raw cauliflower and grate it with a cheese grater.
My husband and I like it with a little kick so I usually serve the kids plates, and then add the chili sauce to the skillet and give it a good toss before serving my husband and myself. Everyone is happy and I didn’t have to make 5 different meals! Gotta love that.
(Note: You’ll want to avoid the chili sauce for those on Feingold Stage 1)
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 8 oz snap peas
- 4 TBSP Braggs Liquid Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP hoisin sauce
- 1 TBSP sesame oil
- 4 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2-4 TBSP chili sauce (from the jar)
- (optional) riced cauliflower or bibb lettuce cups
- In a large skillet or wok, heat sesame oil.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown. you may need to cook in smaller batches depending on the size of your skillet.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Once all chicken is cooked and golden, add veggies and peanuts.
- Add the sauce and mix until chicken is well-coated.
- Cook for a minute or two until vegetables become just slightly tender.
- Add chili sauce if desired.
- Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice or lettuce wrap style.