This Cilantro Chicken is so easy and delicious and something everyone will love! It starts out on the stove and finishes off in the oven using the same pot…which I love because it means fewer dishes. Speaking of dishes, I’m trying to embrace the enjoyment of doing dishes…mostly so it will rub off on my kids and I won’t have to do them anymore (don’t tell them I said that.) I make sure to say out loud anything positive that I can about doing dishes. I’ve come up with a few: the feeling of the warm water on my hands, getting to spend time with my family as we do the dishes together, and the feeling of accomplishment at seeing a shiny pot emerge from the grime. I’ve also noticed that if I don’t think about all the other things I need to do, and focus on the positives, that I REALLY do enjoy doing dishes.
Okay, back to the chicken…It’s important to choose bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs not boneless, skinless (A.K.A. bland and dry) for this dish. One of the things I love about the Keto Diet is that we can enjoy chicken with the skin on. This gives the dish so much flavor and juiciness and rich color.
This recipe was concocted using what I had on-hand and it’s all things I typically have in the pantry and fridge, so you might too. Sometimes the best, most loved, most repeated recipes are the simplest ones with ingredients we usually have around. I think this will quickly become one of your favorites too.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- Avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped; more for garnish
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry, and season each thigh on both sides with the spices. Be sure to season underneath the skin as well. Let the chicken thighs sit in room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- When ready, heat 1-2 tbsp of oil in a skillet. Brown the chicken thighs deeply on both sides in the heated oil. Remove from the skillet and set aside briefly.
- Lower the heat and deglaze the skillet with the white vinegar. Let cook to reduce and then add the broth.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer then add lime juice and garlic.
- Return the chicken to the skillet; and top with cilantro and green onions.
- Bring to a high-simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the skillet and transfer to the 375 degree F-heated oven for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with more cilantro and a wedge of lime.